Frank Warren, Tyson Furyโs promoter, said his client would soon make an announcement that would be a โgame-changerโ for heavyweight boxing.
Since the rescheduled date of his undisputed bout with Oleksandr Usyk in March, WBC champion Fury has been teasing a major announcement.
The British iconic boxer is connected to several fighters, most notably Francis Ngannou and Jon Jones, both of whom compete in mixed martial arts.
Before now, the 34-year-old Tyson Fury has drawn criticism for his refusal to accept Usykโs terms for a bout earlier this year. The fight appeared to have failed due to a controversial rematch clause. Usyk is the WBA (Super), WBO, and IBF champion.
โIโm hoping in the next week or so weโll be in a position to announce somethingโ, Warren told 5 Live Boxing, adding that the announcement could be โa game-changer for the sportโ.
The WBA has selected Daniel Dubois as Usykโs opponent for his championship defense. According to Warren who also represents Dubois, the heavyweight boxing bout is scheduled to take place on August 26 in Poland.
Currently, the biggest names in heavyweight boxing are delaying their fights for no known reason. Amidst that, Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder are currently engaged in protracted negotiations over heavyweight boxing bouts, including one against each other.
Warren claims that money is the main reason why the big matches have not taken place, even though huge offers from Saudi Arabia have caught the attention of several big names in heavyweight boxing, including Usyk and Joshua.
โThe main reason is the market is good in some ways and not good in other ways,โ Warren said.
โThese offers are being made from the Middle East, Saudi.
โThatโs made people sit back and wait rather than engage in big fights right now, with what would be a realistic price rather than the premium theyโd pay to bring them over there.
โThatโs the real truth. And contrary to what everyone says, Tyson and we have been trying to make those fights in the UK.โ